Mangaris™ Diamond is one of J&W Lumber's best selling hardwood in our decking line. It is a tropical Merbau (very similar to Ipe) that is being imported from Indonesia. Slightly softer than Ipe (but still extremely hard) Mangaris™ Diamond offers a clear grade, tight grained board that has a very uniform yellowish brown color. Typical grain patterns are slightly more pronounced than Ipe. Merbau does contain some tannins and tiny dark brown dots of tannin oil may be seen prior to and during installation. These surface tannins are normal and will dry and weather away quickly and not be an issue in the performance of the deck. The wood is naturally fire-resistant and resists rot and insects well, it is 4x harder than Redwood or Cedar.
Indonesia is far from being the slash and clear cut country that many Americans have seen it portrayed as. The Forestry Department of the Indonesian government has a firm commitment to the environment and in maintaining it’s sustainable forests. Plantation grown hardwoods are one of the country’s major, long-term industries. Logs are routinely DNA tested to assure they have been harvested from managed forests. Millions of acres of Indonesia are set aside as “No Harvest” zones to assure the beautiful forests of their land remains for generations to come. For more on Indonesia’s lumber policies visit: http://www.tataenterprises.net/environmental.htm
This is a J&W exclusive product. This limited supply product. This Hardwood species (KUKU) has a tighter grain pattern, and is a perfect substitute for IPE applications. Where Mangaris Diamond may have some tanic acid bleeding (for the first year or so of application), Mangaris Premium WILL NOT bleed. Managais premium also has a pre-oiled finish. It is also subject to the same warrantee as Mangaris diamond making it a perfect alternative to IPE and the best hardwood decking we sell.
Mangaris™ Diamond and Premium deck boards are Kiln-dried and available in all common decking sizes from 1x4 – 2x12, S4S and E4E with a full compliment of posts, balusters and handrails available as well. Keep deck boards clean, covered and out of direct sunlight prior to installation and sealing.
Allow product to acclimate to the temperature and humidity on your jobsite for 4 to 7 days prior to installation.
Install Mangaris™ Diamond at least 12” to 16” above ground and allow sufficient ventilation underneath and to the sides. Airflow is vital to dimensional stability on all hardwood products. Do not enclose to ground, use lattice panels to shield understructure if so desired.
Installers should wear protective respiratory masks to avoid wood dust, wear gloves and eye protection to avoid allergic reactions. Avoid working in an enclosed area whenever possible and remove splinters promptly to avoid infection.
Cutting, End Sealing, Drilling
Carbide tipped saw blades and quality drill bits and countersinks are needed for working with Mangaris™ Diamond and all hardwoods. Choose a counter sink bit that is designed for use with the fastener you’ll be using. After end cutting Mangaris™ Diamond always seal fresh cut ends with a wax, J&W recommends “Anchorseal” to help prevent moisture “wicking”. End waxing will help prevent cupping, warping or splitting.
Always consult your local building codes to assure you are complying with your local building codes. Generally speaking 1x4 and 1x6 can be installed on joists that are 16” on center. 5/4” and thicker boards can be installed on 24” O.C. but many builders prefer 16” O.C.
When installing deck boards on an angle reduce joist spacing to 12”. Consult local building codes for the final say.
Residential Installation Guidelines for MANGARIS™ DIAMOND and PREMIUM
Storage and Handling:
- Keep your MANGARIS™ boards clean, dry and out of direct sunlight before installation and finishing.
- Allow the material to acclimate and stabilize to the local climate (4-7 days) prior to installation.
Allowable Decking spans:
Board Size Load (On Center Spacing)
40psf 60psf 100psf
1x4, 1x6 32” 28’ 24’
5/4x6 42’ 38’ 32 2x4,2x6 62” 56” 48”
Ventilation and Air Flow:
· Allow adequate ventilation for proper air flow to reduce cupping potential.
· Install a vapor barrier to cover ground for decks with less then 24” ground clearance.
- Minimum recommended clearance is 12” with vapor barrier and proper ventilation.
- Reduce moisture “wicking”. Seal all fresh cuts with Anchor Seal (liquid paraffin wax) available from Lumber Dealer.
- We recommend finishing MANGARIS™ with deep penetrating oil, with ultraviolet inhibitors, on all four sides. A periodic light coat of finish will be required in order to maintain original color or allow to weather to a silver grey look (Read finishing instructions on can prior to coating)
Fasteners and Spacing:
- MANGARIS™ deck boards are kiln dried. Unlike air dried boards shrinkage is very limited; however, excessive moisture may cause the boards to expand slightly.
- Recommended spacing is ¼” for 5-1/2” deck boards and 3/16” for 3-1/2” boards. Also allow ¼” from any structures such as foundations or rail post.
- Pre-drill Pilot holes ¾” from edges and ends and countersink for all screws using a minimum 2-1/2” #10 Fat head or Bugle head Stainless Steel screw. Coated deck screws may be used but could cause staining. Minimum screw penetration into joist of 1-1/2”.
- Hidden fasteners. TATA approves the use of Tiger Claw TCG clip in conjunction with TATA’s factory Pre-Oiled and Pre-Grooved 5/4” board only. Not approved for 1x6.
- When installing MANGARIS™ hardwood decking, as with many other wood products, we recommend the use of a protective respiratory mask, gloves and eye protection.
- For technical or installation questions, call 1-866-901-DECK, 8AM – 5PM Pacific Time.
MANGARIS™ DIAMOND (MERBAU) is one of the most durable rot resistant wood products in the world today due in part to a heavy amount of the natural chemical (Tannins) found in all wood species.
Even though it is these Tannins that contribute to a Class A Flame Spread, Rot resistance and termite resistance they may also bleed out when exposed to excessive moisture. For that reason, please use Caution when installing: Not recommended for second story applications or where there is the potential to stain surrounding areas, such as patio furniture or light colored exterior walls. If used in this application please make sure to thoroughly condition boards prior to installation by exposing to moisture until all signs of the red tannins have dissipated. Contact TATA Enterprises for additional information. (866-901-3325)
MANGARIS™ DIAMOND and MANGARIS PREMIUM Warranty and Performance Warranty
25 Year Limited Warranty (against rot, decay & damage to decking structural integrity caused by termites) (does not include supporting framing structure)
First Year Performance Warranty for Diamond and Premium only by Tata Enterprises, Inc.(thereafter “Tata”), a California Corporation with an office located at 2177 Harbor Bay Parkway, Alameda, CA.
When the installation guidelines are followed properly by installers (excluding hidden fastener) , Tata Enterprises, Inc. will guarantee for 12 months after decking installed that MANGARIS™ DIAMOND and PREMIUM will perform well as exterior decking with no or limited cupping, twisting, and face checking.
Tata Enterprises, Inc. will replace all the material upon Tata Enterprises, Inc.’s investigation and approval as defect material. (Material only no labor)
Defect boards are:
1) Boards cupping more than standard tolerance of 1/8” if installed properly with the above guidelines.
2) Boards twisting more than standard tolerance of ¼” if installed properly with the above guidelines.
3) Boards showing face checking more than standard tolerance of 12” per check & tend to split if installed properly with the above guidelines.